13 October 2011

What Motivates You?

Motivation - the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.  


One can have many reasons to act or behave the way one do.  It is very easy to loss track of the little blessings in live when:
  • Live is busy; 
  • Many minor things goes wrong in one day;
  • Hopes and expectations fail to be fulfilled;
  • You are overtaken by sleep deprivation;
  • You experience financial challenges and stress; or 
  • Physical stress, due to pregnancy, illness or just that time of the month, make it difficult to think positive.

On Tuesday afternoon I was driving home after dropping my little girl at ballet.  My Six year old was with me, and he was constantly chatting about everything he saw, with the full enthusiasm of a six year old, who believes everything in life is fine, as long as he has a strong Daddy and a loving Mommy.  

Just there and then it hit me, that I’m not currently living with enthusiasm!  Now I’m a very enthusiastic, do-it-with-all-my-might kind of person. My mother always called me her ‘bouncing ball’.  No matter how hard I hit the ground, I always bounce back.  But over the past few months I lost it.  After all I had reason to be sad, depressed, down-hearted - I lost a baby, an overwhelming, heart breaking experience.
But, I just couldn’t handle my own, depressed, sobering thoughts anymore.  
Now I must add, I’m currently part of an intensively bible study with the Maximize Your Mornings Ladies on The Fruit of The Spirit - Abiding Fruit. 


The week on “Walking in the flesh” and how we don’t understand what we do, turned me onto serious introspection.  What we don’t do, that we do.  What we long to do, that we don’t.  But there is hope! While I abide in Jesus and allow the Spirit to dwell in me, I will be dead to sin.  This week, we study 1 Cor. 13 - the well known passage on Love!
The idea of living out my life of love, was all to much to even try to accomplish, taking in account my downhearted, melancholic attitude.  It was just not possible.  Who can bear the fruit of the spirit when they are sad and depressed, overwhelmed and tired all the time?

I asked myself the very difficult question, What would it take to get back the positive, enthusiastic, bouncing ball Linnie?  The answer came quickly, I only have to make a decision - a decision to live out of a thankful heart!  I have even more reason to be a thankful person, filled with joy and peace.  I have Christ Jesus, who loves me with an everlasting love!  My life in Christ has all the hope I need.  But I need to make the decision to live out of that love and hope. Things will always go wrong, nothing is easy.  Jesus, Himself told us, “In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” He told this to us, so we might have peace!!  (John 16:33)  If I don’t make the decision to live out of love and hope, life will always press down on me. 
Out of what motivation do you live? Do you constantly measure your life against people around you. There will always be people in better situations than us, and it does have the possibility to leave us miserable. 

Or do I live out of a thankful heart. A thankful heart is such a powerful thing! The moment I start giving thanks for things, my attitude change.  
One of the most powerful verses for me in the Word of God is Phil 6:6-8
“6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.   
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” 
It was Christo and my wedding verses!  
A thankful heart produces joy. Ps 100

So I’ve made a decision to be thankful in everything, practice the fruit of the Spirit and be a blessing to the people around me, rejoicing in a thankful heart.
Would you like to join me in a thankful test?  Oh I would love for all of you to participate.

What are you thankful for:
Spiritual
Material
Relational
Emotional
Whimsical
Here are my answers:
Spiritual - I’m so thankful for the gift of everlasting life, knowing nothing can ever separate me from the love of God.
Material - My home.  A place of sanctuary for my family and I, where I can be creative and live out my dreams.


Relational - My awesome husband.  He is my best friend, the love of my life, my protector, my priest, my other half.  I love him so much!
Emotional - Being a mother!  I love my 8 beautiful children so much, but I love motherhood even more, knowing it is the most influential career in the world!
Whimsical - My need for fun!  Whenever I feel down in the dumps, I’ll brainstorm for some fun and go for it.
Now I want to hear what you are thankful for!  
With lots of love
Linnie

"All the days of the afflicted are evil,
      But he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast."
Prov. 15:15

Linked up with Inspired to Action

4 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

Hi, I'm surfing around and came across your blog. I think I've been here before, but today I realized that the titles of our blogs are similar. I'm Time-Warp Wife. :)

Mignon said...

I am busy writing down 1000 blessings. I dare you to join me in this... It is surely changing the way I look at life!
#764 a wheel
#774 ginger pudding
#783 I know who I am in Christ
#821 Census 2011
#827 owning a stove
Love
Mignon

Linnie said...

Thank you for sharing, my Friend! We need to stay focused on the good, better and best things.

Linnie said...

Hi Darlene, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!
Blessings

Blog Widget by LinkWithin